BOCA RATON, FLA. – The Lynn University baseball team used 29 hits, eight walks and seven home runs, each from a different player, to defeat the Southern Connecticut State Owls, 29-6, on Tuesday afternoon.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 23 Lynn 29, Southern Connecticut State 6
Records: Lynn (18-7), Southern Connecticut State (7-4-1)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads the series, 6-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Offense took the stage today for the Fighting Knights, as twelve members of the Blue and White managed two or more hits, and seven different players hit homeruns.
- Tyler Curtis, Jonathon Corbitt and DJ Daniels each led the squad with three hits apiece. Curtis and Daniels each had five RBI, but 11 different players managed to knock in at least one run in today's contest.
- Both teams left several runners on base, Lynn with 12 and the Owls with 11.
- 16 different players recorded an official At-Bat for the Fighting Knights. Six players came off the bench and combined to add 10 hits, seven RBI and two of the eight homeruns in the game.
- Connor Davis earned his second start, and earned his second win in three outtings. The southpaw worked 5.0 innings and only gave up one run on three hits, four walks, and striking out four.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Davis is now 2-0 on the year with a 3.86 ERA in 14.0 innings pitched.
- Ben Fagan hit his second homer today in the same spot over the left field wall as his first career homer yesterday against the Lions of Molloy College.
- The 29 runs is the most runs scored by a Fighting Knight team since the 38-4 victory over Rollins back on March 15, 2013. Assistant Coach Mike Gonzalez played right field in the victory and had a 2-for-4 day at the plate while playing in right field.
- The nonconference win improves upon their record when playing at the Lynn Baseball Field, 15-5.
- Alec Hernandez recorded two innings of scoreless baseball. He now has thrown two straight appearances without giving up a run.
- The Fighting Knights have been a dominant hitting team, and own a team average of .370, slugging percentage of .617, and have sent 52 balls out of the park through just 24 games.
- Hitting Streaks: Ceballos (13), Curtis (12), Martinez (11), Corbitt (7), Daniels (6), Dorrian (4) Grandinette (4).
The Fighting Knights play host to Adelphi on Friday for the final nonconference weekend of the 2017 season. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.