Tampa, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team combined for five runs and nine hits in the double header against No. 9 Tampa Spartans, falling 4-2 and 8-3 on Saturday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 9 Tampa 4, No. 16 Lynn 2; No. 9 Tampa 8, No. 16 Lynn 3
Records: Tampa (27-10, 13-2 SSC), Lynn (25-16, 8-10 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa ,Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn trails in the series, 71-24
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1:
- Frank Grandinette had an impressive outing for the Fighting Knights, giving them a chance for all 7.1 innings he was on the mound. The senior right hander gave up three unearned runs on nine hits with three strikeouts and three walks.
- Just three Blue and White batters managed a hit, and Tyler Curtis had three of those five. Alex Turner and DJ Daniels were able to get one each to add to the box score.
- Daniels and Curtis knocked in each run that the Fighting Knights put up.
- Neither team struck out much in the contest, just nine between the two Sunshine State Conference foes.
- Each team stranded six runners on base.
- Game 2:
- The Spartans put up two runs in the first, second and third innings, plus one in the fourth to take a commanding 7-0 lead. Lynn responded immediately with a three-spot in the fifth. There was a solo shot from Kevin Santa and that would be it for runs the rest of the way.
- Michael Imperato got the starting nod, however he was one of four Fighting Knight pitchers used, and none were able to get more than 3.0 innings of work in the ballgame. Jonathon Wake had the best outing, going 2.0 innings without giving up a hit or run in the process.
- Just three members of the Blue and White managed a hit, led by two for Daniels. Curtis and Jonathan Corbitt hit one and Curtis knocked in the only two RBIs of the contest for Lynn.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Turner has recorded a base knock in six of the past eight contests.
- This series featured two of the top homerun hitters in the Sunshine State Conference, and neither J.D. Osborne or Miguel Ceballos managed to send one out of the yard over the weekend.
- The Fighting Knights are now on a four-game losing streak.
- The Blue and White have a 4-10 record away from the Lynn University Baseball Field.
- The Fighting Knights have been a dominant hitting team, and own a team average of .343, slugging percentage of .570, and have sent 76 balls out of the park through 40 games.
- Hitting Streaks: Curtis (13) and DJ Daniels (5).
The Fighting Knights will return home for their final home series of the 2017 campaign. They host Eckerd for a three game set with game one scheduled for a 3 p.m. start time on April 21.