BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team used the power of four home runs and three doubles to pick up a 12-11 win over 18th-ranked Catawba on Saturday afternoon. The win was Lynn's second in a row over a ranked team after taking down top-ranked Delta State on Friday. Patrick Dorrian and Willie Seay each clubbed two home runs, the duo accounting for 11 of Lynn's 12 runs batted in.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 12, No. 18 Catawba 11
Records: Lynn (2-0), Catawba (0-3)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads, 4-1 (Last met in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Seay got the offense rolling early, blasting a two-run home run in the bottom of the third to level the game at 2-2. He went deep again in the bottom of the fourth inning with a solo shot, and drove in three runs with a double in the fifth inning. Seay capped his day with an RBI on a fielder's choice in the seventh inning.
- Dorrian torched home runs in the fifth and sixth innings, taking a hanging breaking ball over the fence in right-center field in the fifth to tie the game at 7-7 before launching a solo shot the following inning.
- Jake Rouse chipped in with two hits on the day, driving in a run and scoring once. The senior's two-out infield single in the third inning scored Shayne Fontana to push Lynn's lead at the time to 4-2.
- Victor Danza earned the win on the mound for Lynn, tossing 3.2 innings in relief allowing two earned runs on two hits with three strikeouts. Daniel Nuzzi picked up the save with 1.1 scoreless innings to close the game.
- Joe Argumedo and Tyler Green each doubled in the victory, while Tom Archer, Gabe Martinez and Gabe Gomez tallied singles.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Seay's seven RBIs in the game are tied for fourth most in a single game for the Fighting Knights, and the most in a game since Albert Lefran drove in seven runs against Saint Leo in 2015.
- The win made it back-to-back days with victories over a ranked opponent, a feat the Fighting Knights accomplished twice last season.
- Lynn had three players with multi-home run games last season, though no two players reached the milestone in the same game.
- The last time two Fighting Knights had multi-homer games against the same opponent was April 27, 2015, when John Silviano and Miguel Ceballos each hit a pair of long balls against Florida Memorial.
- Lynn hit four or more home runs in a game six times a season ago.
The Blue and White wrap up opening weekend on Sunday at noon when they take on Tusculum at the Lynn Baseball Field.