BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team couldn't get the bats going on Sunday afternoon, falling to Tusculum by a final score of 4-3 on the Lynn Baseball Field in a non-conference matchup. The Fighting Knights combined to score 19 runs in their first two games, but mustered just three runs on seven hits in Sunday's contest.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tusculum 4, Lynn 3
Records: Lynn (2-1), Tusculum (2-2)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Tusculum leads, 5-1 (Tusculum has won four straight matchups)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Jake Rouse went 1-for-3 with a crucial two-run single in the bottom of the fifth, tying the game at 3-3 for the time being.
- Tom Archer led off the bottom of the first inning with a shot to left center field that hit off the top of the wall for a double. After advancing to third on a groundout, he came across to score on a groundout by Joe Argumedo.
- Rigo Beltran logged his first start of the season, working 4.2 innings allowing six hits and three runs—two earned. The southpaw struck out six without waking a batter.
- Ryan Orender and Philip Quinn saw their first action of the season on the mound, each working 1.1 innings in the game. Orender scattered three hits without allowing a run, while Quinn shouldered the loss, allowing two hits and a walk that led to Tusculum's fourth and final run.
- Daniel Nuzzi became the first Lynn pitcher to appear in two games on the season as the righty threw 1.2 perfect innings to finish the game for the Blue and White. On the season, Nuzzi has thrown three innings without allowing a batter to reach base.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Sunday's game was the first of the season at the Lynn baseball field in which neither team homered.
- Lynn's seven hits are the fewest in a game in the early going.
- Fighting Knight pitchers struck out nine opposing batters for the second game in a row.
- Lynn last beat Tusculum in 2006.
The Blue and White hit the road next weekend for a three-game set at Miles Feb. 9 and 10. First pitch on Friday is set for 3 p.m.