BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team picked up a pair of two-run victories en route to a doubleheader sweep on Friday afternoon, downing Miles College 5-3 in game one before following up with a 7-5 win in game two of the series. Tom Archer racked up four hits out of the leadoff spot on the day, while Gabe Gomez added three hits and Tyler Green clubbed his first home run of the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn 5, Miles 3; Game 2 – Lynn 7, Miles 5
Records: Lynn (4-1), Miles (4-4)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads, 2-0 (First ever meetings)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Archer led the way with three hits, including a pair of doubles, while driving in a run and registering four assists at second base. The junior led off the game with a bunt single, and had doubles in each of his next two at-bats.
- Shayne Fontana registered Lynn's only other RBI in the game, driving in Green on a sacrifice fly in the fourth inning.
- Lynn took advantage of crucial miscues by the Miles defense as two errors on bunts led directly to the Fighting Knights' three other runs in the contest.
- Enrique Perez logged a career-high 6.0 innings to pick up his second win of the season, allowing two runs on five hits with five strikeouts and a walk.
- Daniel Nuzzi locked down his second save of the young campaign.
- Game 2
- Gomez logged a 3-for-4 performance in game two of the twin bill, driving in a run and scoring once. The senior tacked on Lynn's fourth run of the game with a double over the third base bag and into the left field corner, scoring Thursal White on the play.
- Green powered the offense with three total RBIs, two of which came on a two-run blast to right field—his first home run of the season for the Fighting Knights.
- White scored a pair of runs for Lynn, getting on base once via walk and once via double when he hit a ball directly over the center fielder's head to the warning track.
- Victor Danza collected his second win of the season, working 3.2 innings after relieving starter Tyler Zuppa in just the second inning of the ballgame. Danza finished with just one run allowed on three hits and a pair of walks with one strikeout.
- Anthony Franco earned his second save of the year, coming on in the seventh inning and shutting down the Golden Bears' offense. He faced four batters, allowing a hit and no runs while working out of late danger.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- The series was shifted to South Florida after originally being slated to be played in Alabama.
- Both teams batted better than .325 on the day, as offenses had no trouble putting runners on base.
- Miles made five errors defensively on the day while the Fighting Knights registered four miscues on defense.
- The Golden Bears were active on the base paths, stealing five bags while being caught by catcher Alejandro Martinez twice.
- Lynn turned a pair of double plays on the day, their sixth in five games this season.
The Blue and White wrap up their series with Miles on Saturday at noon when the two teams travel to the Ballpark of the Palm Beaches in West Palm Beach.