BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team's bats were as hot as the sunny South Florida weather on Tuesday afternoon, taking down Division I foe Eastern Michigan by a final score of 17-13 in the seventh installment of the South Florida Showdown. The Fighting Knights are now 3-3-1 against their Division I counterparts with two games left to play in the nine-game series.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 17, Eastern Michigan 13
Records: Lynn (7-5), Eastern Michigan (0-5)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: First ever meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Jake Rouse accomplished the rare feat of hitting a home run from both sides of the plate in the contest, as the switch hitter clubbed a first-inning home run right handed before turning around and going deep from the left side of the plate to lead off the fifth. He finished with three runs batted in and three runs scored in the win.
- Gabe Martinez drove in four runs and scored twice while going 3-for-4 for Lynn, adding a double to his line in the third inning when he drove home Rouse and Tom Archer.
- Archer collected three hits out of the No. 2 spot in the lineup, his second three-hit game of the season. He had an RBI double and scored three times in the victory.
- Patrick Dorrian hit his sixth home run of the 2018 campaign, launching a ball deep to right-center field as part of a 2-for-3 day. He walked once and scored twice while driving in three runs.
- Shayne Fontana went 2-for-3 out of the leadoff spot on the day to push his hitting streak to five games. The junior scored twice and stole a base as well.
- DJ Daniels joined the home run club for Lynn, hitting his first of the season as one of four homers by the Fighting Knights in the ballgame. He drove in two runs and scored once on the day.
- Philip Quinn earned the win in relief, working 1.0 inning and allowing three runs—one earned. Brady Carlson got the nod to start the game and struck out five over 3.0 innings of work in which he allowed six runs.
- The two teams combined for 30 runs and 27 hits in the game, both of which are the most in a game for Lynn this season. Twice the Fighting Knights and their opponent have combined for 27 hits this year.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Four home runs ties for most in a single game for the Blue and White this season, as the team also knocked four balls out of the park in a 12-11 win over nationally-ranked Catawba earlier this season.
- It was the fourth time in 11 games and second outing in a row that Lynn scored 12 or more runs.
- The Fighting Knights put up nine runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, the most in a single inning this season.
- Rouse's two home runs were his first two of the season, while Daniels' home run was his first of the year.
- Clocking in at 3:18 total length, it was the Blue and White's longest game of the season thus far.
Lynn hosts Saint Leo this weekend as the team kicks of Sunshine State Conference action. The first of the three-game series is scheduled to begin on Friday at 2:30 p.m.