St. Petersburg, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team battled back from a two-run deficit in the middle innings to take a brief lead, but it wasn't enough as the Fighting Knights fell in the first game of a three-game series at Eckerd, 6-5, in 10 innings. Tyler Green homered for the third straight game, marking his fifth long ball of the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Eckerd 6, Lynn 5 (10 innings)
Records: Lynn (9-11, 1-6 SSC), Eckerd (9-8, 3-4 SSC)
Location: Turley Sports Complex | St. Petersburg, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads, 42-15 (Eckerd won two of three last season)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Green's home run makes him the first player this season to homer in three consecutive outings, as his two-run shot in the sixth inning leveled the game at 4-4 for the time being. His two RBIs in the game give him six games this season with two-plus runs driven in, the most such games for anyone on the team.
- Gabe Martinez collected a pair of hits and an RBI for Lynn, driving in the then-go-ahead run in the sixth inning, putting Lynn up 5-4.
- Patrick Dorrian drove in a run and scored once on the night for the Fighting Knights, finishing the game 1-for-5 to extend his reached-base streak to 20 games to open the season.
- Willie Seay tallied a first-inning double to drive in a run, accounting for Lynn's lone extra-base hit outside of Green's home run.
- Anthony Franco started his second game of the season, working 4.2 innings and allowing four runs on eight hits and a walk. The righty earned a no decision, striking out five batters in the contest.
- Billy Facteau came on in relief of Franco in the fifth inning, eventually working his way out of a bases-loaded jam to keep the score at 4-2 and keep the Tritons off the board in the frame.
- Enrique Perez worked the final 4.1 innings for the Blue and White, scattering three hits and a pair of runs while shouldering the loss. He fanned six batters with just one walk.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Franco and Perez each set new career-highs in single-game strikeouts, each surpassing their previous bests by one punch-out each.
- Martinez and Seay are currently tied for the longest active hitting streaks on the team at four games apiece.
- This is the second straight season that Eckerd has won the opening game of the series between the two teams.
The two teams take to the diamond once again on Saturday at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. for a doubleheader at the Turley Sports Complex. The original start time of game one was moved up two hours from its scheduled start time of 1 p.m. due to the impending forecast.