BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team jumped out to an early lead and held on late, as the Fighting Knights defeated Southern Connecticut State by a final score of 10-9 in Tuesday afternoon in non-conference action. Tyler Zuppa turned in a quality start, working 6.0 innings and allowing just one run with six strikeouts. Patrick Dorrian led the offensive attack, hitting a home run and a double while driving in four runs.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 10, Southern Connecticut State 9
Records: Lynn (12-11), SCSU (9-5)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads, 7-2 (Lynn has won back-to-back matchups)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Zuppa earned his first win at Lynn with his longest outing of the season, scattering four hits and three walks over his 6.0 innings of work.
- Dorrian's home run was his 11th of the season and third in his last two games. The senior slugger has also driven in 34 runs through 23 games to lead the team. He finished the day 2-for-3 with a walk.
- Gabe Martinez also posted a 2-for-3 day for the Blue and White, scoring a pair of runs and walking once.
- Jake Rouse, Joe Argumedo, Tyler Green, Gabe Gomez and Anthony Sanabria each finished the game with one hit and one RBI, while Green, Rouse and Gomez added a run scored to their lines.
- Connor Davis worked 1-plus inning in relief, allowing four runs on four hits with a strikeout, while Alec Hernandez tossed 1.0 inning and allowed one earned run. Jake Buxbaum was charged with two runs on one hit and a walk without recording an out.
- Daniel Nuzzi locked down his third save of the season, throwing the ninth inning and allowing one unearned run on one hit.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- The seven runs scored by Southern Connecticut State in the eighth inning were the most in any single inning by an opponent this season.
- Dorrian has reached base safely in all 23 games this season, and has multiple hits in 10 of 23 games thus far.
- Martinez is currently riding a seven-game hitting streak—the longest active streak on the team and second-longest streak for any Lynn player this season.
- Lynn has now won three straight games, tied for its longest winning streak of the season.
- The Blue and White have homered in six straight games as a team, tying an earlier stretch of games for the longest streak this season.
The Fighting Knights return to action on Wednesday when they take on Adelphi at 3 p.m. at the Lynn Baseball Field.