Lakeland, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team extended its winning streak to double-digit games early in the day on Saturday, winning its 10th game in a row with a 15-4 final score in the opening game of a Sunshine State Conference doubleheader at Florida Southern before dropping game two of the day, 23-4. The Fighting Knights took two games out of three in the series, marking their third consecutive series win in SSC play.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Game 1 – Lynn 14, No. 3 Florida Southern 3; Game 2 – Florida Southern 23, Lynn 4
Records: Lynn 19-12 (8-7 SSC), No. 3 Florida Southern 23-4-1 (6-3 SSC)
Location: Henley Field | Lakeland, Fla.
All-time Series: Florida Southern leads, 55-35 (Lynn won five of the last six matchups)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Tom Archer had one of the best games for any Fighting Knight this season, going 4-for-6 with a double, two home runs and an astounding eight RBIs in the first game of the twin bill on Saturday. He had both a two-run and three-run home run, and cleared the bases with a double in the ninth inning to extend Lynn's lead late.
- Joe Argumedo had one of his best games of the season, going 3-for-4 with four runs scored, three RBIs and his first home run at Lynn. The catcher launched a two-run home run in the eighth inning to push Lynn's lead to seven runs, and he added a walk in the win.
- Gabe Martinez had a pair of hits and an early home run for Lynn, giving the team an early lead with a first-inning shot to right field.
- Tyler Green scored three times in the game and drove in a run with a sixth-inning double.
- Rigo Beltran tossed another gem on the mound for Lynn, working 7.0 innings and allowing just two earned runs on six hits and three walks with seven strikeouts.
- Daniel Nuzzi worked 2.0 innings to end the game, allowing two runs on three hits and a walk with a strikeout.
- Game 2
- The Fighting Knights' offense got off to a quick start in game two, plating a run on a passed ball in the top of the first inning as Archer scored following a hit by pitch to lead off the game.
- Lynn regained a 3-2 lead in the top of the third inning when Patrick Dorrian sent his 13th home run of the season over the wall in right field, plating a pair of runs.
- Tyler Green followed Dorrian's third-inning home run with a home run of his own, marking the first time all season the Fighting Knights have clubbed back-to-back home runs.
- Philip Quinn shouldered the loss, working 4.1 innings and allowing five runs on four hits and three walks with two strikeouts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Lynn is now 4-1 against nationally-ranked teams this season after suffering its first such loss in game two of the twin bill.
- The 10-game winning streak was Lynn's longest since an 11-game winning streak during the 2007 season.
- Dorrian has now reached base in 30 straight games, continuing his streak as the only Lynn batter to reach base safely in each game he has played.
- The Fighting Knights have now won six straight regular-season series against the Mocs dating back to 2013.
- Archer's eight-RBI game is tied for second-most in a single game, one behind Cale Crews's record of nine from 2005.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Friday, March 30, when they host Tampa for an SSC battle at 6 p.m.