BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team jumped out to an early lead on Friday afternoon, but was unable to hang on as Florida Tech took game one of the three-game Sunshine State Conference series, 17-6. Alejandro Martinez hit his fourth home run of the season in the contest, a three-run shot in the first inning of action.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Florida Tech 17, Lynn 6
Records: Lynn 19-16 (8-11 SSC), Florida Tech 13-20 (5-8 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads, 44-40 (Florida Tech has won eight of last 10 matchups)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Martinez's three-run homer accounted for half of the Fighting Knights' offense, as he clubbed a two-out shot to left field to push Lynn's early lead to 4-0 after an inning.
- Tom Archer racked up two hits and an RBI in the game, scoring once as well from the leadoff spot.
- Gabe Martinez had two hits and a run in the game out of the No. 2 spot in the lineup.
- Alec Ojeda rounded out the Fighting Knights' lineup with a two-hit game out of the No. 9 spot in the lineup.
- Patrick Dorrian, Willie Seay and Joe Argumedo each tallied a hit and a run scored in the game.
- Anthony Franco shouldered the loss, working 3.2 innings and allowing eight runs, seven earned, on six hits and three walks.
- Ryan Orender worked 2.2 innings of relief, allowing just one earned run on one hit and two walks.
- Connor Davis worked a 1-2-3 ninth inning, striking out the side in order.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Gabe Martinez registered his team-leading 15th multi-hit game of the season, 13 of them being two-hit performances.
- Tom Archer now has 14 multi-hit games on the year, six of them being two-hit games.
- Dorrian has now reached base in each of the 34 games he has played this season after recording a base hit in his first plate appearance.
- Florida Tech's eight-run fourth inning ties a season-high for runs allowed in a single inning by the Fighting Knights.
- Lynn's 10 walks as a pitching staff are the second most in a game this season; the Fighting Knights are 0-3 in games with double-digit walk totals this season.
The two teams will conclude the series on Saturday with a doubleheader beginning at noon at the Lynn Baseball Field. Originally scheduled to played over three days, the series has been condensed due to impending weather on Sunday.