BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team opened the day on a high note, scoring 10 runs in a 10-3 victory over Florida Tech in game one of the doubleheader, but dropped game two by a final score of 16-5. The visiting Panthers took two games of the three-game Sunshine State Conference set following Friday afternoon's victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Game 1 – Lynn 10, Florida Tech 3; Game 2 – Florida Tech 16, Lynn 5
Records: Lynn 20-17 (9-12 SSC), Florida Tech 14-21 (6-9 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads, 45-41 (Florida Tech won two of three this year)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Cal Bocchino had a team-leading three hits in the first game of the day, including his first career home run for the Fighting Knights. The freshman launched a two-run homer in the third inning, extending Lynn's lead to 7-1 at the time.
- Shayne Fontana went 2-for-4 with a solo home run and a sacrifice fly, driving in two runs in the win. He scored a team-high three times in the contest.
- Tom Archer went 2-for-2 with an RBI before being lifted in the middle innings for Anthony Sanabria, who finished the game with a 1-for-2 mark at the plate.
- Gabe Martinez, Patrick Dorrian and Willie Seay each registered two hits apiece in the victory, while Seay added two runs and Martinez and Dorrian scored once each.
- Daniel Nuzzi was lights out in relief for the Fighting Knights, collecting a four-inning save. He retired all 12 batters that he faced, striking out two.
- Rigo Beltran worked 5.0 innings in his start for Lynn, striking out seven batters and allowing three runs, two earned, on four hits and four walks. He earned his fifth win of the season in the outing.
- Game 2
- The offense got off to a quick start once again, as Sanabria opened the scoring in the second inning with a two-run double. He finished the game 2-for-4 with two RBIs and was the only Fighting Knight with a two-hit game.
- Alejandro Martinez pushed Lynn's lead to 5-0 in the third inning with his second three-run home run in as many days. It was his fifth long ball of the season.
- Dorrian, Seay, Bocchino and Alejandro Martinez each had a hit and a run in the game.
- Philip Quinn earned a no decision, working 4.1 innings and allowing four runs on seven hits and two walks. He struck out two.
- Tyler Zuppa saw his first Sunshine State Conference action, tossing 1.1 innings out of the bullpen. He allowed one run on one hit with two walks.
- Enrique Perez shouldered the loss, going two innings and allowing seven runs, five earned, on four hits and three walks with two punch outs.
- Jonathon Wake threw the final 1.1 innings, allowing four runs, two earned, on four hits and a walk with one strikeout.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Dorrian extended his on-base streak to 36 games as he had at least one hit in each of the day's contests.
- The winning team in each of the three games of the series scored at least 10 runs.
- Lynn's 17 hits in game one of the twin bill were its most since a 17-hit outing on March 10 at Eckerd.
- At least one Fighting Knight homered in each of the three games of the series.
The Blue and White return to the diamond on Friday at 6 p.m. for an SSC showdown with #20 Nova Southeastern.