Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team went toe-to-toe with 12th-ranked Nova Southeastern but could not hold on to a late lead, eventually falling 5-3 on Saturday afternoon. Starter Rigo Beltran took his first loss on the mound and Shayne Fontana drove in a pair of runs.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 12 Nova Southeastern 5, Lynn 3
Records: Nova Southeastern (25-9, 17-3 SSC), Lynn (20-19, 9-14 SSC)
Location: NSU Baseball Complex| Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn trails in the series 56-54
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Beltran (5-1) was on the wrong end of three errors that led to two unearned runs. He tossed seven innings with four runs allowed, two earned, with two strikeouts.
- Shayne Fontana drove in two runs as part of a three-run fourth inning. He went 1-for-4.
- Tom Archer was 1-for-3 with a run and Gabe Martines went 1-for-4 with a run and RBI.
- Joe Argumedo was the only Fighting Knight with multiple hits (2-for-4).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn had the same amount of hits as Nova Southeastern, 6-6.
- Beltran's two K's gave him 66 on the season, surpassing his previous career-high set in 2016.
- This marks the fifth consecutive start Beltran has allowed two earned runs or less in at least six innings of work and seventh overall in the season.
Lynn looks to salvage the series finale on Sunday, April 15, at noon. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.