Miami Shores, Fla. – The first game of the 2019 season for the Lynn University baseball team featured plenty of excitement, but the Fighting Knights fell in 10 innings to the Catawba College Indians in non-conference play 6-5. Alejandro Martinez was the offensive catalyst for Rudy Garbalosa's men, collecting two hits and three RBI in four at-bats.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Catawba 6, Lynn 5 (10)
Records: Lynn (0-1), Catawba (1-0)
Location: Feinbloom Field| Miami Shores, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 4-2
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Newcomer Nicholis Prather got the start on opening day and went 4.0 innings, striking out four and surrendering three earned runs, scattering five hits.
- Martinez got his team on the board in the second with an RBI single and then delivered the game-tying hit in the eighth, a 2-RBI double into the right center field gap.
- Trevor Romeo collected an RBI to start the three-run eighth, scoring James Buckley on an RBI single, in his first game as a Fighting Knight.
- Catawba's pitcher Hunter Shepherd was excellent in 5.1 innings of work, giving up just one earned run, and adding a home run at the dish in the top-half of the eighth.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Due to inclement weather and unplayable conditions at their home field, Lynn traveled to nearby Barry University to take on the Indians.
- After tying the game at 5-all with no outs in the bottom of the eighth, the Fighting Knights stranded runners on second and third to close the inning.
- This is the first time that Lynn has played an extra-inning contest in its season opener since the 2013 season.
The Blue and White host Bentley for their home opener tomorrow, Feb. 2 at 1:00 p.m. Make sure to check www.lynnfightingknights.com for any updates/changes.