Boca Raton, Fla. – Behind an outstanding relief appearance from Jake Buxbaum and a timely three-run homer from Joshua LaPrest, Lynn University's baseball team salvaged a split against the Lincoln Memorial University Railsplitters in a Friday afternoon doubleheader at home. The Blue and White fell 9-4 in the opening game before taking game two, 7-5, in a seven-inning affair.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – LMU 9, Lynn 4; Game 2 – Lynn 7, LMU 5 (7)
Records: Lynn (6-2), Lincoln Memorial (6-4)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field| Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Series tied 1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- LMU got ahead quickly facing Lynn starter Nicholis Prather, plating four runs in the first inning, three of which came via a three-run home run.
- The Railsplitters continued to stretch their margin as the game progressed, plating one in the third, one in the fourth, two in the fifth and one in the seventh to take a commanding 9-0 lead.
- Starting pitcher Ethan Elliott was excellent for LMU, surrendering just two hits and one walk, striking out seven in 6.0 innings of work.
- The Blue and White wouldn't go quietly, however, scoring two in the bottom of the seventh courtesy of an Anthony Sanabria long ball to get on the board.
- Alec Ojeda and LaPrest added RBIs in the eighth, but Lincoln Memorial dodged any further damage, stranding the bases loaded in the inning.
- Devin Morris finished off the Fighting Knights with a scoreless ninth to claim the win in the opener of this three-game set.
- Game 2
- Lynn, which found its hitting stroke to end the first game, picked up where it left off, plating two runs in the first inning courtesy of an RBI triple by Shayne Fontana and RBI double from Alejandro Martinez.
- A LMU solo homer brought the score to 2-1 in the Blue and White's favor before a Cal Bocchino RBI double and LaPrest RBI single in the bottom of the third put Lynn on top, 4-1.
- This time, the Railsplitters made the comeback surge, scoring one in the fourth and three in the fifth to go ahead 5-4.
- LaPrest proved the difference for the Fighting Knights with a three-run homer on the first pitch from Patrick Queener, putting Lynn back in front for good.
- Buxbaum threw the final 2.2 innings, surrendering just two hits and striking out one to earn the win, his first of the season.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- After managing just two hits and being held scoreless through six innings of game one, Lynn scored four runs on seven hits in the final three frames.
- LaPrest went a combined 3-for-4 at the dish with one run scored and four RBI.
- Sanabria has reached base safely in all eight games in 2019.
- With three hits on the day, Fontana is in the midst of an eight-game hit-streak to begin the season.
- Through seven games at Lynn University Field, the Fighting Knights and their opponents have combined for 20 home runs.
- These were the first-ever meetings between Lynn and Lincoln Memorial.
Lynn will take on LMU tomorrow, Feb. 16 at noon, for the rubber-game of this three-game set in Boca Raton.