SAINT LEO, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team played three competitive games on the road to open up Sunshine State Conference (SSC) play at 23rd-ranked Saint Leo, but fell in its final two contests on Saturday by scores of 5-4 and 6-3, respectively.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 23 Saint Leo 5, Lynn 4, No. 23 Saint Leo 6, Lynn 3
Records: Lynn (8-5, 1-2 SSC), SLU (9-5, 2-1 SSC)
Location: Thomas B. Southard Stadium | Saint Leo, Fla.
All-Time Series: Saint Leo leads 45-33
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game One
- Lynn jumped out to a lead in the top of the first, capitalizing on a Saint Leo miscue with Alejandro Martinez at the plate, scoring Shayne Fontana.
- The Blue and White tacked on three more with a Joe Argumedo RBI single and Trevor Romeo two-RBI double, scoring four total runs in the frame, all of which were unearned.
- SLU chipped away the deficit, however, scoring single runs in the second, third and seventh to pull within one.
- The Fighting Knights had a chance to put an end to the game in the ninth, but made a critical error to allow the Lions to score the tying run.
- A wild pitch later in the inning scored the Saint Leo's fifth and winning run, giving it a walk-off win to open the day.
- Starter Samuel Beck pitched 4.1 innings, surrendering four hits and two earned runs, striking out three.
- Game Two
- The Fighting Knights scored first again in game two after an Anthony Sanabria single was botched by the SLU shortstop, allowing Cal Bocchino to score from second on the single and throwing error.
- Saint Leo tied it up in the third and then took a 2-1 lead in the fourth on a solo homer.
- This back-and-forth trend continued as James Buckley doubled to left, scoring Sanabria to knot the game at 2.
- The Lions, however, punched back immediately with a two-run shot in the seventh and two more in the eight to take a commanding 6-2 lead into the final inning.
- Buckley launched a solo homer to right, but that was all that the Lynn offense could muster in the final frame.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Buckley finished the day with a total of three hits, collecting a double and his second homer of the season in game two, adding a walk and two RBI.
- After hitting 16 homers in their first 10 games, Lynn had just one homerun in its three-game set with SLU.
- Losing both games today, every team in the SSC has lost at least once in conference play through two weeks of competition.
Lynn hosts Rollins next weekend for its SSC home opening series on Mar. 1-3 in Boca Raton.