Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team fell in a pitcher's duel on Friday afternoon in its Sunshine State Conference (SSC) home opener, suffering a 4-2 defeat at the hands of the visiting Rollins College Tars. Cal Bocchino provided the only offense for the Blue and White, hitting a two-run double in the third.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Rollins 4, Lynn 2
Records: Lynn (8-6, 1-3 SSC), Rollins (9-4, 1-0 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field| Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Rollins leads 46-32-1
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With two outs and two on in the top of the first, the Tars struck first with a three-run homer to left off Lynn starter Nicholis Prather.
- Bocchino narrowly missed a grand slam during his at-bat with the bases loaded in the third, but delivered a two-RBI two-bagger a short time later to pull the Fighting Knights within one.
- A double-play groundout which scored a run brought the Tars some much needed insurance in the eighth.
- Prather (2-2) was excellent after a rocky first inning, giving up just one additional earned run in 7.0 innings of work, striking out five while throwing 94 pitches, 64 of which went for strikes.
- Tar starter Cameron Enck (3-1) matched Prather, going 5.2 innings, scattering five hits and surrendering just two earned runs.
- Whit Drennan then closed the door for Rollins, pitching the final 3.1 innings for his second save of the season.
- Lynn left eight men on base while the Tars left just two.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Through nine games at Lynn University Field, the Fighting Knights and their opponents have combined for 24 home runs.
- Enck escaped a bases loaded jam in the second after walking three straight batters with two outs.
- Lynn falls to 7-2 at home.
- The double for Bocchino is his second of the season and his fourth extra-base hit. His two RBIs were Nos. 10 and 11 for the Delray Beach, Fla. native.
- Shayne Fontana had two hits in the game, his sixth contest this year with multiple knocks. Fontana has at least one hit in 13-of-14 games.
The Fighting Knights continue their three-game weekend series with Rollins tomorrow, March 2 at 1:00 p.m.