Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team edged the visiting Rollins College Tars on Sunday afternoon, 6-5, to complete the 2-1 series victory, taking games two and three after falling in the opener. Jake Buxbaum notched a two-inning save to preserve the Blue and White's one-run cushion with James Buckley throwing out the tying runner from right field to end the eighth.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 6, Rollins 5
Records: Lynn (10-6, 3-3 SSC), Rollins (9-6, 1-2 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field| Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Rollins leads 46-34-1
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn scored first for the first time this weekend, exploding for three runs in the bottom of the fourth.
- After three straight walks from Rollins' starter Garrett Leonard, Cal Bocchino laced a two-run single down the right field line to score Alejandro Martinez and Shayne Fontana.
- A Joe Argumedo double-play groundout scored Martinez to give Lynn a three-run cushion.
- The Tars answered quickly, plating three in the fifth to even the score at 3-3.
- Anthony Sanabria homered to left center to lead off the fifth and Alec Ojeda produced a sacrifice fly to score Buckley, putting Lynn back on top, ahead 5-3.
- Rollins scored one in both the sixth and seventh innings to once again tie the score, this time at 5-all.
- Ojeda delivered the big hit for the Fighting Knights in the seventh, scoring Sanabria on an RBI single which hit off the third base bag.
- Buxbaum picked up his second save of the season, throwing two scoreless innings, while Anthony Franco earned his third career win.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Through 11 games at Lynn University Field, the Fighting Knights and their opponents have combined for 26 home runs.
- Lynn improves to 9-2 at home.
- Fontana and Sanabria are tied for third in the SSC with four home runs each.
- Fontana's 21 runs are tied for second-best in the SSC.
- The Fighting Knights three double-plays in the game, becoming the second SSC team to accomplish that this season, joining Florida Southern on Feb. 23.
- This is the first SSC series win of the season for Lynn and its first over Rollins since 2017.
- Seven of Lynn's ten wins have come in relief.
Lynn will take a break from its conference schedule, taking on Wilmington and Concordia (N.Y.) March 4-5, respectively, before another weekend home SSC series with Eckerd on March 8-9.