Boca Raton, Fla. – Staring down an eight-run first inning deficit, Lynn University's baseball team made another one of its patented comebacks, scoring 13 runs in a three-inning span to take down No. 21 Wilmington 22-11 in eight innings. Alejandro Martinez, James Buckley and Anthony Sanabria each homered for the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 22, Wilmington 11 (8)
Records: Lynn (11-6, 3-3 SSC), Wilmington (5-2)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field| Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 7-1
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Martinez went 2-for-5 with five RBI and three runs scored, blasting a critical three-run game-tying homer in the fourth.
- Sanabria also had two hits, going 2-for-3 with three runs scored, two walks and a three-run home run which brought Lynn within one in the third.
- Buckley proved himself at the top of lineup with a 3-for-5 day, scoring twice and adding a two-run long ball in the seventh.
- Connor Davis worked Lynn out of a bases-loaded no-out jam in the first and picked up steam from there, going 6.0 innings and giving up just three runs, one earned while striking out seven to earn his second win of the year.
- Anthony Masiello finished the game off in the final two official innings, striking out two and allowing one run.
- Both teams were hitting the ball from the opening pitch with Lynn racking up 17 hits and Wilmington knocking out 13.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Through 12 games at Lynn University Field, the Fighting Knights and their opponents have combined for 29 home runs.
- All nine players in the starting batting order reached base and 8-of-9 recorded at least one hit.
- Wilmington came in averaging 2.5 home runs per game, third-most nationally, but Lynn didn't surrender a homer in the game.
- With its three HRs, Lynn has hit 22 home runs on the season, tied for the most in the SSC with Saint Leo.
- Lynn improves to 10-2 in true home games.
- Sanabria is tied for first in the SSC with five homers.
- Fontana's 24 runs scored are tops in the SSC.
- Eight of Lynn's 11 wins have come in relief.
- The game was played into the top of the ninth, but it was never completed due to darkness, meaning the official game stats and scores revert back to their end state in the eighth.
Lynn will continue its conference schedule, taking on Concordia (N.Y.) Tuesday, March 5 at 3 p.m., before another weekend home SSC series with Eckerd on March 8-9.