Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team escaped Saturday's Sunshine State Conference (SSC) doubleheader with a split against the visiting Eckerd College Tritons, falling 12-7 game one before winning the series' final game 7-2 in seven innings. Game two was called due to darkness after the seventh.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Eckerd 12, Lynn 7 (G1), Lynn 7, Eckerd 2 (G2)
Records: Lynn (13-8, 4-5 SSC), Eckerd (13-8, 5-4 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 45-17 (Eckerd wins series 2-1)
STATS OF THE DAY:
- James Buckley hit a solo homer in the sixth inning in the Fighting Knights' victory, finishing the game with three RBI, two walks and one run scored.
- Misael Castillo (2-0) earned his second victory of the season in game two, surrendering just five hits and one unearned run in 5.0 innings, striking out four.
- Joe Argumedo went a combined 5-for-8 on the day with three runs scored, leading the Blue and White in the hits department.
- Cal Bocchino had three RBI in game one, improving his season total to a team-high 20, which is tied for the fifth-most in the SSC.
- Anthony Sanabria collected two hits in the second game, one of which was a double, improving his SSC-leading slugging percentage to .701.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Eckerd plated seven runs in the top of eighth inning in game two before the game was called due to darkness. As stated in the NCAA rulebook, the result of the game reverts back to the last-completed inning, the seventh, when Lynn led 7-2.
- Lynn had 14 hits in game one, all of which were singles.
- Friday's EC starter, Dillon McCollough and Saturday's game one starter for the Tritons, Robin Allen, rank second and third in the SSC in ERA among starting pitchers.
- Eckerd and Lynn posted back-to-back six run innings in the bottom of the seventh and top of the eighth of the opener.
- This is the second series loss for the Blue and White in the last three seasons to Eckerd after winning 10 straight series from 2007-2016.
- After walking 14 batters in his first four starts, Castillo has walked just three batters in his last two outings. Lynn has won 5-of-6 games with Castillo as its starting pitcher.
The Fighting Knights will resume their non-conference slate against Caldwell University on Monday, March 11 at 4:00 p.m. in Lake Worth, Fla. at the Santaluces Sports Complex.