Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team played an exciting game with the visitors from Southern Connecticut State University on Thursday, but fell 5-4 at home.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final:So. Conn. State 5, Lynn 4
Records: Lynn (14-10, 4-5 SSC), SCSU (7-10)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 7-3
STATS OF THE DAY:
- James Buckley went 2-for-2 with two runs scored two walks and one RBI, playing shortstop and batting at the top of the lineup.
- Alec Ojeda had a two-hit day, adding a RBI on single which scored Buckley in the sixth.
- Cal Bocchino delivered two RBI to improve his team-leading total to 22 for the season.
- Shayne Fontana tripled and walked twice, scoring his team-high 27th run.
- SCSU did its damage in two innings, using three straight hits to begin the fourth to score three in the inning. After Lynn took a 4-3 lead, the Owls responded with two in the seventh and held that advantage thanks to 3.1 scoreless innings from Quantique White.
- Zack Miednik earned the start and a no decision, scattering just five hits and allowing three earned, all of which came after his exit in the fourth.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The top of Lynn's lineup (1-4) collected six of its seven hits.
- For the first time this year, the Fighting Knights lose consecutive non-conference games.
- Lynn is 9-5 in non-conference games this season.
- Fontana's three-bagger makes it 16 triples for Lynn, the most in Division II.
- The Fighting Knights are now 2-4 in games against lefty starters.
Lynn is back to SSC play this weekend, traveling to Miami Shores for the first of a three-game set with first-place Barry University on Friday, March 16 at 6 p.m.