Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team got itself back in the win column on Friday afternoon, downing the visiting Florida Southern College Moccasins 13-6 in their Sunshine State Conference (SSC) series opener. Shayne Fontana hit a three-run homer in the third to put the Fighting Knights ahead and also made a spectacular, wall-climbing catch to rob a potential FSC long ball in the top of the sixth.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 13, FSC 6
Records: Lynn (15-13, 5-8 SSC), Florida Southern (15-11, 1-6 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Fontana finished his standout day with three RBI, three runs scored and two walks, showing his multi-faceted ability in the field and at the plate.
- Alejandro Martinez went 3-for-4 with three runs scored, hitting a solo homer in the bottom of the seventh.
- Michael Buckley picked up his first two RBI in SSC play, collecting two hits and one run scored.
- Cal Bocchino went 1-for-2 with an RBI and two runs scored, walking twice.
- Nicholis Prather (3-4) earned his third victory of the season, going 5.0 innings and giving up just four hits and three runs, all earned, striking out two.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- 11 of the 13 run-scorers for Lynn reached base via walks/hit-by-pitches.
- The Fighting Knights scored eight runs on two hits in the fifth.
- Fontana's three runs scored move his total to 31 on the season, second-best in the SSC.
- This is Lynn's first game one home-win in an SSC series this season.
- The Blue and White's eight runs scored match a season-high in an inning, equaling that total with an eight-run seventh in a 22-18 win over Wilmington on March 4.
- 13 runs scored are the most for Lynn in an SSC game this season.
Lynn looks to clinch the series over Florida Southern tomorrow, Saturday, March 23, at 1 p.m. in Boca Raton.