Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team struggled offensively for the second consecutive day against visiting Florida Southern College, falling 7-0 in the final game of the three-game weekend Sunshine State Conference (SSC) series at home. Shayne Fontana collected two of Lynn's five hits in the game.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: FSC 7, Lynn 0
Records: Lynn (15-15, 5-10 SSC), Florida Southern (17-11, 3-6 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Fontana went 2-for-4 in the game, the lone Fighting Knight to register multiple hits.
- Tom Archer provided a 1-for-3 day with a walk, batting in the second spot in the order.
- The Blue and White walked five batters in the top of the sixth, allowing Florida Southern to score five runs in the frame.
- FSC's Trevor Castell, J.J. Niekro and Cole Crowder combined to strike out 14 Lynn hitters as the trio of Mocs' pitchers that were responsible for the combined complete game shutout.
- Lynn loaded the bases with no one out in both the fourth and ninth innings, but were held scoreless in both frames.
- Anthony Masiello pitched the final two innings for the Fighting Knights, holding FSC scoreless while striking out three.
- Zack Miednik (1-1), despite taking the loss, was solid in 2.2 innings, scattering five hits and giving up just one run, striking out five.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights were shutout for the second time this season and the first time in NCAA play, previously falling 17-0 to NAIA-affiliated St. Thomas (Fla.) on Feb. 19.
- Byron Murray appeared in his first action as a member of the Blue and White on Sunday, getting the start at third base.
- 14 Ks are the second-most this season for Lynn which struck out 18 times at Saint Leo on Feb. 22.
- Lynn was held to a season-low five hits for the second consecutive day.
Lynn will have to regroup quickly after dropping its second consecutive home series and third overall as it travels to Tampa for a three games in SSC play next weekend, April 29-30.