TAMPA, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team hung tough with the second-ranked University of Tampa Spartans on Friday night, but was ultimately defeated in Sunshine State Conference (SSC) play 3-2 in the series opener. Byron Murray, making his second-career appearance, launched a second-inning homerun which gave the Fighting Knights the lead.
INSIDE THE RACE:
Final: Tampa 3, Lynn 2
Records:Tampa (24-6, 10-3 SSC), Lynn (15-16, 5-1 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-Time Series: Tampa leads 75-24
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Murray went 1-for-2 with a run scored and two walks, hitting a 2-RBI long ball in the second inning to put Lynn up 2-1.
- Despite taking the loss, Nicholis Prather (3-5) delivered a solid start on the bump, going 6.0 innings and allowing three earned runs, striking out four.
- Victor Danza pitched a scoreless seventh and eighth inning to maintain the one-run deficit.
- Tyler Beck earned a two-inning save to finish off Lynn for the Spartans, his sixth of the season.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Murray becomes the 13th different Fighting Knight to homer this season.
- Lynn has now lost three straight games in SSC play.
- The Blue and White's three hits are a season-low.
Lynn takes on the Spartans again tomorrow, Saturday March 30, for a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m.