Melbourne, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team fell in late-inning fashion on Friday night, suffering a 3-2 setback to host-Florida Tech in Sunshine State Conference (SSC) action. The Panthers scored two in the bottom of the eighth and delivered an outfield assist to finish off the game in the Blue and White's final at-bat.
INSIDE THE RACE:
Finals: FIT 3, Lynn 2
Records: Florida Tech (17-14, 6-7 SSC), Lynn (16-18, 6-13 SSC)
Location: Andy Seminick-Les Hall Field | Melbourne, Fla.
All-Time Series: Florida Tech leads 46-41
STATS OF THE DAY:
- Shayne Fontana continues to shine for the Fighting Knights, this time batting at the top of the lineup and going 2-for-3 with a run scored and RBI.
- Alejandro Martinez also knocked out two hits, finishing the evening 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Lynn's starter Nicholis Prather earned a no decision despite an excellent pitching performance, throwing 6.0 innings and scattering seven hits, allowing just one earned run while striking out six.
- Jake Buxbaum (2-2), who surrendered two runs, one of which was earned, in the bottom of the eighth took the loss.
- James Buckley came racing towards the plate as the potential tying run in the ninth on an Anthony Sanabria single, however a strong throw from the Florida Tech right fielder beat him to the plate and he was called out, ending the game.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Fontana has now reached base safely in 15 straight games.
- Prather has given up four or fewer runs in each of his seven SSC starts and three or less in five of those.
- The Blue and White are 1-5 in games decided by one run.
- The Fighting Knights will need to win both tomorrow to notch their first SSC road series victory.
Lynn will continue its three-game series in Melbourne tomorrow, April 6, for a doubleheader with the Panthers beginning at 1 p.m.