Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team was unable to keep up with a loaded Nova Southeastern University Sharks squad on Friday afternoon, falling 16-2 in Sunshine State Conference (SSC) play. Alejandro Martinez doubled in Alec Ojeda and Byron Murray in the first to account for the Fighting Knights two runs.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Finals: NSU 16, Lynn 2
Records: Nova Southeastern (24-13, 13-9 SSC), Lynn (16-21, 6-16 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Florida Tech leads 48-41
STATS OF THE DAY:
- Murray hit a ground-rule double in the first, his fifth extra-base hit in eight games, going 1-for-3 with a run scored.
- Martinez provided that early spark for Lynn, knocking in two runs on his lone hit of the day.
- Shayne Fontana went 2-for-4 at the top of the lineup, improving his average to .319.
- James Buckley also collected two hits in four plate appearances.
- Lynn had 10 hits, but left nine men on base.
- A nine-run sixth for NSU shifted the momentum firmly towards NSU as 13 Sharks came to the plate in the frame.
- Nova pounded out 20 hits on its way to 16 runs, a season-high in SSC play.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Fontana has now reached base safely in 18 straight games.
- Murray extends his hitting streak to seven games.
- 10 of Nicholis Prather's 11 runs surrendered came via home runs as NSU totaled four on the day.
Lynn continues a three-game SSC series with Nova Southeastern in Boca Raton tomorrow, April 13 at 1 p.m.