BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team could not keep up with Nova Southeastern in the Sunshine State Conference series finale, falling 9-3 on Sunday afternoon. Shayne Fontana and Alejandro Martinez accounted for seven of the team's 14 hits.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Finals: NSU 10, Lynn 2
Records: Nova Southeastern (25-13, 14-9 SSC), Lynn (16-22, 6-17 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn trails 59-54 (Swept in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The Sharks tallied three runs in the top of the third but the Blue and White responded with two runs in the home half. NSU, though, scored twice in the fourth and four times in the fifth to put the game away.
- Fontanta had a day at the leadoff position, reaching base four times as he went 3-for-4 with a run and hit by pitch.
- Martinez belted four hits in a 4-for-5 performance.
- Tom Archer picked it up offensively, going 2-for-4 with a solo home run in the eighth.
- Anthony Sanabria was the fourth Fighting Knight to log a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 at the plate.
- Byron Murray and Alec Ojeda also drove in runs for Lynn.
- Samuel Beck (1-3) took the loss after allowing five runs, four earned, on seven hits over four innings. He also fanned three batters.
- Philip Quinn and Jake Buxbaum silenced the Sharks bats over the final 4.1 innings of work.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Archer hit his second home run of the season and first since March 2.
- This is the first four-hit game in Martinez's career.
- Fontana reached base four times for the second time this season.
- The 12th stolen base of the season for Fontana put him into a tie for fifth in the SSC.
Lynn returns to action on Friday, April 19, for a three-game series at Embry-Riddle. First pitch is set for 6 pm. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.