Augusta, Ga. – Lynn University's baseball team exploded for 21 combined runs in a non-conference doubleheader sweep of Augusta University on Saturday, winning 13-12 and 8-3 in seven innings, respectively. Alejandro Martinez homered in both games and Shayne Fontana had a combined five hits and five runs scored to set the table for the Fighting Knight attack.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Finals: Lynn 13 Augusta 12, Lynn 8, Augusta 3 (7)
Records: Lynn (18-26), Augusta (18-30)
Location: Jaguar Field | Augusta, Ga.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 4-1
STATS OF THE DAY:
- Martinez showed his power, teeing off on Augusta pitching to the tune of two homers and six RBI in the two games combined.
- Fontana finished the day 5-for-9 with five runs scored and five knocks, driving in two runs in the opener.
- Byron Murray collected four hits, including a double and a triple, batting in the clean-up spot, going 2-for-4 in each game with a run scored, adding two RBI in game one.
- Misael Castillo (3-1) was hitting his spots in game two, going 5.0 innings and giving up just one earned run, scattering six hits to earn the win.
- Lynn hit three homers in the second game with Tom Archer and James Buckley both going deep to add to Martinez' first inning big fly.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Both wins snap a 10-game losing streak as the Blue and White pick up their first wins in April.
- Martinez' two homers bring his season total to 8, overtaking Fontana for the team-lead.
- Fontana increases his team-best runs scored to 46 on the season, tied-fourth in the SSC.
- Murray continues to produce since being available for head coach Rudy Garbalosa's men, reaching base safely for his 11th and 12th games in 14 contests played.
- Lynn will be looking for its second three-game sweep of the season on Sunday and its first since a three-game sweep of Tuskegee, February 8-9.
The Fighting Knights complete their three-game series in Georgia tomorrow, taking on Augusta at noon.