BOCA RATON, Fla. – A career-high 30 points from senior Fred Landers was not enough to take down the defending national champions on Saturday night, as the Lynn University men's basketball team fell behind in the early parts of the second half in a 98-91 setback to Florida Southern College.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Southern 98, Lynn 91
Records: Florida Southern (2-2, 2-0 SSC), Lynn (1-2, 0-2 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: FSC leads 36-10 (last meeting 2015 NCAA Sweet 16)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Following up his big showing at home in the season opener, David Johnson came out on fire to help Lynn to a 12-2 edge right out of the gates. Johnson hit his first four attempts from the field, including a long range trey and a fast break dunk.
- A Ben Berry triple gave Lynn its largest lead of the half (21-10), but the Mocs chipped away until 3-pointer from Trey Moore tied the score at 25-25.
- Florida Southern continued its run to go up 28-25, followed by the teams trading buckets for the remainder of the half.
- Landers nailed a clutch corner three to retake the lead for Lynn (44-42), but a turnover on the ensuing offensive possession allowed FSC to tie it back up with an easy lay in.
- The Mocs held the rock for the final shot of the half, as Dylan Travis kissed a jumper off the glass with three ticks left to give the away side a 46-44 edge heading into the locker room.
- Florida Southern carried the momentum into the second stanza and outscored the Fighting Knights 31-12 over the first nine minutes of the second period to build their largest lead of the game (77-56).
- With 3:10 remaining, Johnson put back a tip in then sank his third triple of the game to cut the deficit back down to single digits.
- Coming down the stretch, Landers took over down low, grabbing two offensive rebounds and scoring six straight points to put the Blue & White back into the game with under a minute to play.
- Landers popped his third trey of the game with 16 seconds left, but the Mocs were perfect at the charity stripe to help secure the victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Landers led all scorers with 30 points, a career-high for the senior, shooting 12-of-23 from the field and 3-of-6 from long range. He also finished with seven boards, two steals and a team-high three blocks.
- Johnson had his second big performance on the home floor, dropping in 22 points on 9-of-18 shooting.
- Russell Wilson tied a career-high and his own program record with an impressive 14 assists, while also contributing six rebounds.
- Jamal Palmer recorded 15 points off the bench and was 2-for-4 from long range.
- Berry was the team's leading rebounder with eight and chipped in eight points.
- Travis and Dominique Williams combined for 57 of FSC's points.
- Three of Landers' five highest point totals in his Blue & White career have come against Florida Southern.
- Lynn's 21 assists, 91 points and 37.9 three-point percentage are all season-highs.
- Lynn and Florida Southern have played each other five times in the past two seasons.
The Fighting Knights next hit the road for a pair of nonconference matchups at the beginning of the week. Lynn will square off against Miles College on Monday, Nov. 23 then travel up to Tennessee the following day to take on Lane College.