Fairfield, Ala. – Lynn University's men's basketball team got back in the win column Monday night with an exciting 95-93 triumph over Miles College. Ben Berry sank 3-of-4 free throws in the final 22 seconds to keep the Fighting Knights ahead, as Miles' potential game-winning three-point attempt with three seconds left clanked off the back of the rim.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 95, Miles 93
Records: Lynn (2-2), Miles (1-2)
Location: Knox-Windham Gymnasium | Fairfield, Ala.
Series: First ever meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Each side traded limited buckets throughout the majority of the first half until Miles strung together a 6-0 run to go up 25-17 at the 7:44 mark.
- Miles held off Lynn with a small cushion in to the final two minutes of the stanza.
- Fred Landers and Allen Baez converted three foul shots to cut the deficit to one, with Baez capitalizing on a Miles turnover and dropping in a layup with three seconds left to give Lynn a 44-43 edge going into halftime.
- Berry set the tone coming out of the break, knocking down a jumper from beyond the arc 13 seconds in.
- A pair of layups from Miles gave the lead back to the home side with 14:14 left in the game (60-59). The Golden Bears expanded the buckets into a 14-2 run to put Lynn in a nine-point hole.
- The Blue & White responded on a 19-6 tear led by triples from Berry and Denzel Richardson to jump back out in front, 80-76.
- With 22 seconds to go, Berry grabbed a defensive board and drew the foul, converting both free throws to put Lynn up 94-90.
- Miles wasted little time, storming down the court and popping a clutch three pointer to get the home crowd on its feet.
- Berry went to the line once again at the 13-second mark, hitting the first but missing the second as Miles grabbed the rebound for a final shot. Joshua Samuels got off a deep, but clean long-range look but it didn't fall, allowing Lynn to escape with the two-point triumph.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Landers went 8-for-12 at the charity stripe to notch 21 points, leading all scorers for the second consecutive game. He also led the squad with nine boards.
- David Johnson swiped a game-high five steals to go along with 16 points and four helpers.
- Berry finished with 18 points and seven boards.
- Russell Wilson dished out a game-high six assists and hit double figures with 10 points.
- Tonight's contest marks the first-ever matchup between Lynn and Miles.
- The Fighting Knights put up over 90 points for the second game in a row, with Landers scoring over 20 in each.
Lynn now heads north to Jackson, Tenn. to square off against the Lane College Dragons tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov. 24 at 8 p.m. EST. Make sure to follow @Lynn_Knights on Twitter and Instagram for in-game updates.