Jackson, Tenn. – Lynn University's men's basketball team jumped out in front midway through the first half and never gave back the lead on Tuesday as the Fighting Knights picked up their second win in as many nights with a 69-61 triumph over Lane College. With a game-high 25 points, Fred Landers has scored over 20 points in three consecutive games, the first Fighting Knight to do so since the 2009-10 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 69, Lane 61
Records: Lynn (3-2), Lane (0-4)
Location: J.F. Lane Gymnasium | Jackson, Tenn.
Series: Lynn leads series 4-0 (last meeting 2005)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- The Fighting Knights got off to a rocky start offensively, missing their first five attempts (four 3's) from the field, until Landers knocked down a turnaround jumper on the baseline 3:11 into the game.
- At 10-10, Jamal Palmer gave Lynn its first lead with a mid-range jumper, immediately followed by Russell Wilson snagging a steal and finishing it off with a breakaway layup. Lynn never lost the lead for the remainder of the contest.
- Wilson and Landers then connected back-to-back to kick start an 8-0 run for the Fighting Knights. Wilson found Landers down low for an easy layup, then kicked it out to Landers for a three on the next possession.
- The Blue & White took a 32-25 advantage into the locker room, with Landers scoring nearly half of the team's first-half points (15).
- Lane pieced together a 10-0 run early in the second stanza to cut their deficit to one point (40-39).
- Lynn then turned up the pressure, ascending the tempo with a full-court press defensively to help counter with a 14-0 tear and build the largest lead of the game (54-39).
- Donnavan Hastings locked in down the stretch, scoring eight of Lynn's final 15 points as the Fighting Knights held off the Dragons for an eight-point victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Landers was Lynn's top offensive producer for the third contest in a row, finishing with a game-high 25 points while shooting 10-of-17 from the field, 2-of-4 from long range and a perfect 3-for-3 from the line.
- Hastings had his best outing so far this season in the Blue & White, falling just shy of the double-double with 12 points and nine rebounds.
- Wilson dished out eight assists and rounded out his game with six points and four boards.
- David Johnson threw down two dunks in his eight points while Allen Baez swiped a game- and career-high four steals.
- Landers has scored over 20 points in the past three games (30, 21, 25), the first Fighting Knight to accomplish those numbers since Chris Hall in the 2009-10 season.
- Tonight's game marks the first time Lynn has played Lane since 2005.
- Lynn was held under 84 points for the first time this season.
- Both teams shot 22.9 percent from three-point range.
Lynn will have the week off before returning to conference action. The Fighting Knights head to Barry on Wednesday, Dec. 2 for a 7:30 p.m. matchup with the nationally-ranked Bucs. Make sure to follow @Lynn_Knights on Twitter and Instagram for in-game updates.