BOCA RATON, Fla. – After storming out of the gates to a 19-3 advantage Saturday night, Lynn University's men's basketball team succumbed to a persistent full-court pressure from Florida Memorial University as the Lions fought back and defeated the Fighting Knights, 76-67, in the final game of Lynn's Residence Inn Boca Raton Holiday Classic.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Memorial 76, Lynn 67
Records: Lynn (6-4), Florida Memorial (6-6)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 21-2 (last meeting Dec. 9, 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights got off to an amazing start, scoring the first 12 points of the game before garnering a 19-3 lead at the 9:17 mark.
- Florida Memorial started to fight back with a 9-1 run as Lynn cooled off from the field.
- The Lions knocked down two jumpers in the final 23 seconds of the opening period to cap off a 19-6 tear and force a four-point ball game at halftime (26-22).
- Ben Berry and Denzel Richardson utilized three-pointers to lead the Blue & White with seven points each at the break.
- Allen Baez sunk a jumper to open up the scoring in the first minute of the second frame.
- The Lions then scored eight straight to secure their first lead of the game, 30-28, with 16:56 remaining.
- Both sides went back-and-forth exchanging leads over the remainder of the contest as Lynn worked through a relentless full-court press from the Lions.
- After a Jamal Palmer tip-in with a minute to go put Lynn down two (66-64), Florida Memorial pulled away on a 10-3 run to secure the victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The bulk of the scoring for Lynn came from Richardson, Palmer and David Johnson, who combined to notch 48 of the team's 67 points.
- Richardson led the way with a game-high 17 points, followed by Palmer with 16 and Johnson with 15.
- Richardson and Johnson each grabbed seven boards to tie for the team-high, while Palmer recorded all of his points in the second half.
- Baez contributed seven points and led the squad with six dimes while Berry tallied seven points and six boards.
- Lynn swatted a season-high 11 blocks, led by Richardson with a career-high three. Baez, Johnson and Pavle Raickovic all recorded two apiece.
- Florida Memorial secured just its second win over Lynn in 23 matchups over the years.
Lynn will return to conference action at the turn of the New Year, beginning with a home matchup against Florida Tech on Saturday, Jan. 2 at 4:00 p.m.