BOCA RATON, Fla. – An 18-point effort in the first half from senior Fred Landers helped Lynn University's men's basketball team jump out in front early and lock down an 82-71 victory over the University of Tampa Saturday evening inside the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 82, Tampa 71
Records: Lynn (7-6, 2-5 SSC), Tampa (4-10, 0-6 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 22-18 (last meeting Feb. 4, 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A long-range trey by David Johnson off a dish from Russell Wilson four minutes into the contest put Lynn up 6-4 as the home team controlled the lead for the rest of the opening period.
- Lynn and Tampa exchanged buckets for the remainder of the first half as neither team was able to build any runs. The Fighting Knights went up by as many as seven on multiple occasions, but Tampa wouldn't let them pull away.
- Tampa's Matt Johnson knocked down a jumper in the waning seconds of the half to cut Lynn's lead to four (35-31) at the intermission.
- Landers recorded 18 points in 16 minutes on the floor.
- The Spartans tallied the first five points of the second half to retain the lead, 36-35. However, an Allen Baez jumper 15 seconds later put Lynn back out in front and gave the home side an edge it wouldn't relinquish for the rest of the game.
- The Fighting Knights continued building momentum with a 13-2 run to expand their lead to double digits.
- With under five minutes to play, Johnson and Ben Berry found the bottom of the twine on back-to-back possessions to grant Lynn its largest lead of the game (70-57).
- The Blue & White went 8-for-8 at the charity stripe in the final minute to ice the victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Landers shot an impressive 55-percent from the field and knocked down all five of his free-throw attempts to notch a game-high 29 points, including 18 in the first half. The Fort Lauderdale product also led the Blue & White in rebounds (9) and steals (3).
- Johnson and Berry tallied 13 points apiece. Berry sunk three triples while Johnson brought in seven boards.
- Pavle Raickovic went 5-for-7 from the field in the second half, rounding out Lynn's four double-digit scorers with a season-high 11 points.
- Baez and Jamal Palmer each dished out four assists, marking a season-high for Palmer.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn was able to capitalize off Tampa's missteps, recording 25 points off of turnovers.
- Landers has scored 25 or more points in four games this season.
The Fighting Knights return to action on Wednesday, Jan. 13 when they travel St. Petersburg to take on Eckerd in Sunshine State Conference play. Tipoff is slated for 7:30 pm.