St. Petersburg, Fla. – The Lynn University men's basketball team never got in a rhythm Wednesday night, falling 70-56 on the road against seventh-ranked Eckerd College in Sunshine State Conference play.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #7 Eckerd 70, Lynn 56
Records: #7 Eckerd (15-1, 7-0 SSC), Lynn (7-7, 2-6 SSC)
Location: McArthur Center | St. Petersburg, Fla.
Series: Eckerd leads 26-14
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- First Half: David Johnson helped the Fighting Knights control the opening tip before scoring the first basket of the game, as well. Eckerd used a 9-0 run to take a 15-8 lead before back-to-back Ben Berry three-pointers broke the trend. Berry and Johnson combined for 19 points, but eight Tritons tickled the bottom of the twine. Eckerd got to the free-throw line eight times and forced seven Lynn turnovers, helping the home team carry a 41-26 advantage into the locker room at halftime.
- Second Half: The two teams exchanged scoring opportunities for the first 15 minutes before the Tritons worked out to a 59-44 lead. Fred Landers knocked down back-to-back triples to cut the deficit to single digits, but Eckerd's Marco Behori responded with a trey of his own, helping Eckerd ensure that Lynn wouldn't get any closer. The Tritons came away with a 70-56 victory to remain unbeaten in SSC action and pick up their 15th consecutive win.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Berry and Landers each finished the game with 10 points, one shy of Johnson's team-high 11.
- Trevon Young and Drushaun McLaum tied one another to lead all scorers with 12 points apiece, while guard Kevin Walsh chipped in 10 of his own.
- Lynn won the rebounding battle 36-34, while each team forced 16 turnovers.
- Vieux Kande recorded a game-high nine rebounds, while three Tritons each hauled in six.
- Eckerd shot 47.3% from the floor for the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Landers has scored in double-figures in every game this season.
- The Triton's 15th consecutive win is a school record and the longest active winning streak in Division II.
The Fighting Knights return to action on Saturday, when they travel to Daytona Beach to take on the Eagles of Embry-Riddle. Tipoff is slated for 7:00 pm.