BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's basketball team had one of its best shooting performances of the season on Saturday evening, but it wasn't enough to keep up with the high-octane Barry University Buccaneers as the Fighting Knights fell at home, 94-83.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #24 Barry 94, Lynn 83
Records: #24 Barry (15-3, 8-2 SSC), Lynn (10-9, 4-7 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Barry leads 26-25 (last meeting Dec. 2, 2015 – L, 109-101)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bucs showcased early on in the game why they have the highest-scoring offense in the league, utilizing a 21-5 run to notch 27 points in the first eight minutes of play and go up 17 on the Fighting Knights.
- Dante Scholl and Vieux Kande came off the bench and helped chip away at the deficit, drawing within a single-digit game with just over six minutes left in the opening period.
- Fred Landers drained one of his four 3-pointers on the night with 2:39 left in the half to put Lynn down by three (42-39).
- A couple of Lynn turnovers and second-chance buckets from Barry gave the Bucs a 52-43 edge at intermission.
- The Blue & White had eight players find the bottom of the net in the opening half.
- David Johnson kicked off the scoring in the second half with a trey off a Russell Wilson dish.
- After trading buckets for the majority of the half, the Fighting Knights went on an 8-2 run to close the gap to four (85-81) with 2:03 remaining.
- Lynn had its shot down the stretch but a handful of missed opportunities allowed Barry to pull further ahead and secure the win.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Landers tallied his second double-double of the season, finishing with team-highs in points (18), rebounds (10) and blocks (4). The senior's four swats is a career-high.
- Wilson matched Landers with a season-high 18 points after 13 in the second half and distributed six assists. Johnson chipped in 13 points including two triples.
- Kande hit double figures for the first time since the season opener, while Scholl recorded a season-high eight points and a career-high four steals.
- Barry featured five players in double-digit scoring and produced two double-doubles.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's 47.4% clip from three-point range (9-of-19) was a season-high. The squad also shot 50.8% from the field (30-of-59), its second best game this season and highest in over a month.
- Landers is three points away from notching his 1000th career point in the Blue & White.
- Lynn, the top offensive rebounding team in the conference, pulled in a season-low eight boards on the offensive glass.
- The Bucs never trailed in the game.
The Fighting Knights have next Wednesday off before traveling to Saint Leo on Saturday, Feb. 6 for a 4 p.m. matchup.