West Palm Beach, Fla. – Lynn University's men's basketball team could not find a rhythm offensively Wednesday night, lingering in striking range of Palm Beach Atlantic throughout the game but never catching up with the Sailfish in a 71-63 setback.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Palm Beach Atlantic 71, Lynn 63
Records: Palm Beach Atlantic (12-10), Lynn (10-11)
Location: Rubin Arena | West Palm Beach, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 14-8 (Last meeting Jan. 20, 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both sides struggled to get going offensively at the onset of the night as Palm Beach Atlantic led 4-2 after five minutes of play.
- Ben Berry got the Fighting Knights on the board with a put-back floater through the lane, and Fred Landers picked up two early blocks on the defensive end to get the away side involved.
- The 'Fish embarked on a 7-0 run to build a 13-4 edge at the second media timeout of the night.
- Landers converted three consecutive layups to personally put Lynn on a 6-1 run and cut the deficit to two, 25-23. PBA was able to regain its cushion and take a 33-27 lead at the half.
- Landers hit double digits in the first 20 minutes while Russell Wilson and David Johnson combined to collect 10 boards.
- Four quick fouls in the first two minutes of the second stanza forced Lynn to readjust as the Fighting Knights turned to a full-court pressure on defense.
- The pace of the game quickly escalated as both sides pushed the ball with rapid transition offense.
- Allen Baez slung in a silky pass to Jamal Palmer on the cut for the layup, followed by a Berry trifecta on the next possession as the Fighting Knights pulled back within two, 48-46.
- The Sailfish were able to recover an eight-point edge following the under-8 media. Denzel Richardson then flushed a triple, followed by a reverse layup fighting along the baseline to keep the Blue & White alive.
- A handful of missed long-range attempts from Lynn in the final two minutes allowed the home squad to secure the victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Landers had a big night on both ends of the floor, recording game-highs in points (22), steals (4) and blocks (2) on a 50% shooting clip. He fell one rebound shy of the double-double.
- Berry finished as Lynn's only other scorer in double figures with 11, to go along with seven boards and two swats.
- Wilson tallied eight points and eight boards, while Richardson chipped in eight off the bench.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Landers notched his 10th 20-point game of the season.
- Lynn was limited to season-lows in field-goal percentage, 3-point percentage and assists.
The Fighting Knights return to action on Saturday, Feb. 13, when they play host to Eckerd in Sunshine State Conference play. Tipoff is set for 4:00 pm from de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center.