BOCA RATON, Fla. – Following a close contest at halftime, Rollins College took off on a 19-6 run throughout the second half to pull away from the Lynn University men's basketball team on Saturday. Four Fighting Knights notched double-figures and Russell Wilson posted a double-double in the 85-68 setback.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Rollins 85, Lynn 68
Records: Rollins (19-7, 11-4 SSC), Lynn (11-13, 5-10 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Rollins leads 25-14 all-time
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Following a quick layup from Rollins' Sharif Almulla, Allen Baez responded with a jumper from beyond the arc to give Lynn the lead in the first minute.
- The Fighting Knights converted inside chances and Ben Berry knocked down a pair of triples, staying ahead of the Tars for the next 11 minutes of action.
- An Eric Castaneda 3-pointer gave the edge back to Rollins with under eight remaining in the first period, as the Tars controlled the lead until halftime.
- Russell Wilson scored Lynn's final four points of the half, two at the charity stripe and a layup at the buzzer to cut the Rollins advantage to 40-39 at the intermission.
- Landers knocked down five from the field to hit double figures and Wilson was already on his way with eight points and six helpers.
- Berry opened up the scoring in the second half with a quick trey to immediately put the Fighting Knights back on top.
- The sides traded buckets for the opening 10 minutes of the second stanza with Rollins grabbing a pair of 7-point advantages.
- At the 10:05 mark, the Fighting Knights pulled within two after a Berry put-back, but the tides quickly turned.
- Rollins took off on a 19-6 tear spanning 5:52 to build a 15-point lead and put the game out of reach in the closing minutes.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Wilson posted a double-double with 12 points and a game-high 11 assists. The senior was perfect at the free-throw line (6-6), snagged two steals and fell three rebounds shy of a triple-double.
- Three other Fighting Knights hit double digits, led by Landers and Berry with 14 apiece.
- Baez knocked down 12 points with three treys while adding five assists and two steals.
- Rollins boasted two 20-point scorers, led by Almulla with 22.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Wilson recorded his second double-double this season.
- Lynn's two highest opponent field-goal percentages this season were both against Rollins.
The Fighting Knights return to the hardwood on Wednesday, Feb. 24, at 7:30 pm when they travel to face Tampa. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.