Tampa, Fla. – The Lynn University men's basketball team cruised to a 74-55 victory over the University of Tampa on Wednesday night, locking up a Sunshine State Conference tournament berth in the process.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 74, Tampa 55
Records: Lynn (12-13, 6-10 SSC) Tampa (9-17, 4-11 SSC)
Location: Bob Martinez Athletic Center | Tampa, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 23-18
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- First Half: Fred Landers knocked down a trifecta to open the night, and Russell Wilson followed with a layup to put Lynn on top 5-0. The Spartans then went on a 21-4 run, with Pat Bacon's eight points leading the way. After trailing by as many as nine, the Fighting Knights scored 20 of the half's final 33 points to carry a 34-30 lead into the locker room at the intermission. Wilson posted 10 points and collected six rebounds in the first twenty minutes, leading the Blue and White in both categories. Landers and David Johnson combined for 15 points, while three different Fighting Knights connected on a trey.
- Second Half: After scoring eight points in the first 20 minutes, Landers scored seven within the first four minutes of the second half. Lynn never trailed after halftime, going ahead by as many as 19. Wilson tallied the final bucket of the night, and the Fighting Knights earned the season sweep of the Spartans.
- Wilson finished his night with 17 points and 13 rebounds, while Landers posted a game-high 22 points. Jamal Palmer tallied 10 points to land as the third Fighting Knight to score in double-figures.
- Lynn outrebounded its hosts 50-38 while committing just six turnovers (second lowest this season).
- Pat Bacon led the Spartans with 16 points and Austin Rettig followed with 11.
- The Blue and White shot 40.3% from the floor for the night and 57.1% at the charity stripe.
- Wilson's double-double was his second in as many games and third on the season.
The Fighting Knights return to action on Saturday, when they host Embry-Riddle in the regular-season finale. Tipoff is slated for 4:00 pm from de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center.