BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's basketball team dropped its regular season finale 83-74 on Saturday afternoon. Three of the team's six seniors scored in double-digits on senior night.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Embry-Riddle 83, Lynn 74
Records: Embry-Riddle (16-10), Lynn (12-14)
Location: de Hoernle Sports & Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 3-1 (last meeting Jan. 16, 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- First Half
- Lynn raced out of the gates on a 14-4 lead, highlighted by six points apiece from Pavle Raickovic and Fred Landers.
- Embry-Riddle responded with a 14-2 run of its own to take an 18-16 lead with 11:84 left in the half
- The two teams would go on a scoring barrage over the next four minutes to bring the score to 28-27. The last two points coming from David Johnson put the Blue & White ahead.
- Momentum appeared in the Fighting Knights' favor after Ben Berry buried a three from the right wing and was fouled in the process. He completed the four-point play to put Lynn ahead 32-27.
- Dalton Barnes, though converted on back-to-back jumpers, four of his 17 first half points, bringing Embry-Riddle to within three, 32-29.
- The two teams exchanged leads up until the buzzer when Raickovic made an easy lay-up after Dante Scholl drew in the defense to give the Blue & White a 42-41 lead at the break.
- Second Half
- A foul from former Fighting Knight Reed Ridder put Ben Berry at the line to extend Lynn's lead and Russell Wilson followed with a layup to make it 45-41.
- Unfortunately, that would be the Blue & White's biggest advantage of the half with the Eagles using a 13-5 run to pull ahead 54-49.
- Fred Landers cut into Embry-Riddle's scoring with two of his team-high 22 points but ERAU used another big run, 10-2, to gain an 11-point advantage (64-53).
- Dante Scholl provided a spark off the bench, draining a three in the left corner, recording a steal and then assisting on a fast break layup to Raikovic.
- David Johnson then notched another steal and went coast-to-coast to close the gap 66-62 with eight minutes to play.
- Consecutive threes by Joseph Gonzalez and Ognjen Miljovic put Embry-Riddle ahead by eight (72-64) only to have Lynn fight back to within two, 72-70, on a 6-0 run.
- Another trey, this time from Dillon Graham, with 2:04 left on the clock took the wind from Lynn's sails and the Eagles ended the game hitting 10 consecutive free-throws.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Landers led Lynn with 22 points.
- Raickovic scored 12 points and pulled down eight rebounds.
- David Johnson scored 12 off the bench with four blocks and two steals.
- Russell Wilson added a team-high 11 rebounds and eight assists.
- Barnes led all scorers with 28 points on 10-of-17 shooting with 10 boards while Miljkovic had 20 points and 13 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Wilson led the team in rebounding for the second consecutive game.
- Landers scored 20+ points for the second straight contest and 12th time this year.
- Wilson has notched 10+ rebounds or assists in each of his last three games.
- Johnson matched his season-high with four blocks and came one block shy of tying his career-high.
- Lynn's six seniors combined for 62 of the team's 74 points.
- Embry-Riddle's Reed Ridder played his freshman season at Lynn and was teammates with Raickovic and Scholl. He finished the night with eighth points while shooting 2-for-12 from the field.
Lynn has secured the No. 6 seed in the Sunshine State Conference Championship but must wait to find out its opponent. The opening round of the SSC Tournament is slated for Wednesday, March 2. Check back to LynnFightingKnights.com for the squad's opening round opponent.