DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The Lynn University men's basketball saw its season come to a close on Saturday afternoon, falling 64-61 to Eckerd College in the Sunshine State Conference Tournament Semifinals.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Eckerd 64, Lynn 61
Records: Eckerd (24-6, 12-4 SSC), Lynn (13-15, 6-10 SSC)
Location: ICI Center | Daytona Beach, Fla.
Series: Eckerd leads 27-14
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- First Half: Lynn controlled the opening tip, but Eckerd's Trevon Young came away with the first bucket of the game to ignite an 8-2 Triton run. The second-seeded Tritons remained in an offensive rhythm for the duration of the first half, shooting 58.6% from the floor. Fred Landers led the Fighting Knight offense in the first half with eight points, while Russell Wilson followed with six. After leading by as many as 19, Eckerd carried a 39-25 advantage into the locker room at intermission.
- Second Half: The Blue and White wasted no time after the break, turning their first four possessions into points. Lynn shared the wealth along the way, as four Fighting Knights found the bottom of the twine before the first media timeout. Wilson knocked down a three to bring Lynn within one, and David Johnson's second-chance effort 19 seconds later gave the team its first lead of the day. The two squads exchanged baskets for the better part of three minutes until Triton guard E.J. Moody was fouled and converted both free throws. Ben Berry responded with the biggest three of the afternoon, again pulling Lynn within a score with 22 seconds to play. The Fighting Knights were able to make a defensive stop but never got a clean look in the waning moments.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Drushaun McLaurn led all scorers with 19 points, while Triton teammate Ray Darnell followed with 17 of his own.
- Landers paced Lynn with 16 points as one of three players in double-figures. Wilson and Johnson combined for 27.
- Obi Kyei collected a game-high eight rebounds, including six on the defensive side of the glass.
- Johnson and Vieux Kande each recorded six boards for the Fighting Knights. Each team totaled 30.
- Eckerd shot 53.2% from the floor for the game, besting Lynn's 37% effort.
- Lynn won the turnover battle by a 19-16 margin.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Landers has scored in double-figures 25 times in 28 games this season.