BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's basketball program took the 2016-17 season opener on Saturday night on its home floor over Florida Memorial, 89-57, behind four double-digit scoring performances. Freshman Juwan Frazier led the scoring with 17 points in his collegiate debut while Vieux Kande locked in a double-double.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 89, Florida Memorial 57
Records: Lynn (1-0), Florida Memorial (0-5)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 22-2 (last meeting 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- First Half | Lynn would start the scoring from a Kande free throw with the action going back and forth to the tune of three ties in a span of two minutes. However, the 7-7 tie at the 16:30 mark would be the closest the Lions came to taking the lead as the Blue & White would go on a series of runs to close out the first half of play. Frazier led the scoring with 11 points, Kande tallied eight points and eight rebounds and Kevin O'Brien tacked on nine points. The Fighting Knights went into halftime with a 39-27 advantage.
- Second Half | After a slow start on both sides, the Blue and White offense found its rhythm and quickly put the game out of reach with a 16-0 run spearheaded by Jamal Palmer and Malik Morrow. Lynn would dominate the rest of the game, stretching the advantage to as many as 35 to give the squad its first victory of the season.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Frazier led the game with 17 points on 4-for-9 shooting while going 8-of-10 from the free-throw line. The Boynton Beach, Fla. native also dished out a team-high five assists.
- Kande ended the night with the first Lynn double-double of the season with 13 points and 16 rebounds.
- O'Brien, a first-year transfer, had a balanced night with 14 points, six boards and three steals.
- Palmer rounded out the Fighting Knights in double figures with 12 points on 4-of-7 shooting (2-of-3 from 3-point range) and tacked on three steals.
- Lynn outrebounded Florida Memorial (52-34) and had the advantage in assists, 15-4.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- For the second year in a row, Kande has notched a double-double in the season opener.
- Both teams had four players score in double figures.
The Blue and White now will head to Miami Shores, Fla. to face Barry in their first road game of the season on Wednesday, Nov. 16 with tip-off set for 7:30 p.m. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.