BOCA RATON, Fla. – Sophomore Jamal Palmer had another sharp first-half performance on Friday en route to a career-high-tying 25 points to help lead the Lynn University men's basketball team to an 85-77 triumph over Pace University on the opening night of the Boca Raton Holiday Classic.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 85, Pace 77
Records: Lynn (5-4), Pace (4-8)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 1-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- The Setters controlled the onset of the contest, hitting three of their first four attempts from the floor to go up 7-0 and force Lynn into a quick timeout.
- Lynn responded immediately following the huddle at the team bench and then grabbed its first lead of the night on a Palmer triple at the 14:18 mark.
- The Fighting Knights would stay out in front for the remainder of the opening half, pushing the lead to as many as 18 when Allen Baez found Darius James for a smooth alley-oop with two minutes remaining.
- Palmer finished the frame with 15 points on 6-of-8 shooting along with a team-high five boards, while the team knocked down six three-pointers as a unit.
- The Blue and White withheld a sizable edge coming out of the locker room, leading by 21 with under eight minutes to play.
- Pace quickly worked itself back into the contest however, embarking on a 14-4 run to cut the deficit down to 10 (71-61).
- The Setters sent the home side to the charity stripe down the stretch, but the Fighting Knights converted enough to pull off the victory.
- Lynn's bench played a key role in the second, outscoring Pace's reserves, 13-2.
- Palmer was effective from the field, shooting 11-of-15 overall and 3-of-5 from long range to account for his personal-best-tying mark. His 11 made field goals is also a career-high. Palmer filled out the stat sheet with seven rebounds, three assists, a steal and a block.
- Marquan Botley was perfect from the free-throw line and was the only other Fighting Knight in double figures with 16 points. He finished second on the squad with six assists.
- Baez distributed the rock all night, matching his personal-best performance with nine assists.
- Vieux Kande owned the inside once again with 10 rebounds, while Kevin O'Brien chipped in eight and eight.
- James saw a career-high in points with nine, including a pair of first-half slams.
- Lynn's 53.2-percent field-goal percentage and seven blocks are both season-highs.
- The Setters utilized only three players off their bench the entire night. Lynn held a 24-4 advantage over Pace in bench points.
- Palmer has scored in double figures in every game so far this season, including two 20-plus-point performances in the last three outings.
- Lynn has strung together three straight victories for this first time this season.
Lynn closes out its annual Boca Raton Holiday Classic tomorrow, Saturday, Dec. 17, with a 7:30 p.m. matchup against nationally-ranked and undefeated Drury University.