Lakeland, Fla. – Marquan Botley had the hottest of hands on Saturday night as the senior led the Lynn University men's basketball team on a second half tear en route to a 93-70 victory at Florida Southern College. Tied 38-38 at halftime, the Fighting Knights dominated the second stanza for the Sunshine State Conference victory and the season sweep over the Mocs.
Botley finished with a career-high 40 points, breaking a school record with 10 made three-pointers. He also knocked down his 84th triple of the season, moving ahead of Ben Berry for the program's single-season three-point record. His 40 points is the most in a game from any player in the SSC this season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 93, Florida Southern 70
Records: Lynn (12-12, 7-9 SSC), Florida Southern (11-15, 8-8 SSC)
Location: Jenkins Field House | Lakeland, Fla.
All-time Series: FSC leads 36-13
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Botley poured it on in the second half, finishing with 40 points, three rebounds, two assists and a steal. The efficiency matched the volume as the guard shot 13-of-18 from the field, 4-of-4 at the charity stripe and an impressive 10-of-13 from long range.
- Jamal Palmer played all 40 minutes and followed up Botley with 21 points and seven boards on 8-of-13 shooting.
- Vieux Kande posted a 12-point, 12-rebound double-double and went 6-for-7 at the line.
- Allen Baez facilitated the offense with eight assists and tacked on 12 points. Power forward Darius James finished with eight and eight inside along with two blocks.
- Botley previously tied the school record earlier this season when he hit nine triples against Florida Tech.
- Botley's 40 points is three shy of the school record for points in a game. Chris Hall has the record at 43 along with a 42-point game. Botley and Arteus Sullivan are tied for third with 40.
- As a team, the Fighting Knights knocked down 16 triples, tying the school record set earlier this season against Tampa. The three highest outputs for three-pointers in a game in school history have all come this season.
- Lynn sweeps the season series against FSC, with two opposite performances. In Boca Raton, Lynn routed FSC, 80-56, led by strong inside play. Lynn's four made three-pointers that game is tied for the season-low.
- All 93 of Lynn's points came from the starting five. The Blue and White were dealt a short bench and just seven Fighting Knights saw the floor.
- Two of Lynn's three best shooting performances this season have come against Florida Southern – both above 50% from the field.
- Tonight was senior night for the Mocs.
The Fighting Knights will celebrate their own senior night at the last home game of the season on Wednesday, Feb. 22. Tipoff vs. Nova Southeastern is slated for 7:30 p.m.