Winter Park, Fla. – Defensive pressure in the second half allowed the sixth-seeded Lynn University men's basketball team to erase a 15-point halftime deficit and take the lead with under 10 minutes to play Wednesday night in the opening round of the Sunshine State Conference Tournament. The Fighting Knights and third-seeded Rollins College traded blows down the stretch until the Tars found the go-ahead bucket with seven seconds left. The Blue and White had one last look from the three-point line as time expired but it rattled off the front of the rim, ending Lynn's season with a 75-73 defeat.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Rollins 75, Lynn 73
Records: Rollins (19-10), Lynn (13-14)
Location: Warden Arena | Winter Park, Fla.
All-time Series: Rollins leads 28-15
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Marquan Botley led the scoring efforts yet again, posting 18 points, six assists and his second block of the season. The six helpers is one shy of his season-high.
- Kevin O'Brien, seeing his first start since Feb.11, stuffed the stat sheet with 16 points on 6-of-10 shooting, eight rebounds, four assists, two steals and a block.
- After foul trouble hindered his first half playing time, Jamal Palmer recorded 14 points after the break to finish with 16 on 7-of-14 shooting. He added two boards, two assists and two steals.
- Allen Baez neared a double-double, falling one assist shy of his career-high. He logged 11 points, eight dimes, four rebounds, two steals and a block.
- Vieux Kande added six points, eight boards and a swat on defense.
- Lynn suffered in the first-half turnover comparison, 12-2, but defensive adjustments led to a 9-6 edge in favor of Lynn following halftime.
- Lynn's starting lineup scored 67 of the team's 73 points.
- The 3-vs-6 matchup of Lynn at Rollins is a repeat from last year's SSC Tournament. The Fighting Knights pulled off the upset however behind a career-high 32 points from Ben Berry.
- Rollins won all three matchups against Lynn this season. Both of the games in Winter Park were decided by two points.
- Seniors Botley and Kande played in their final collegiate contests.
- Kande holds the program record for rebounds in a game (25) while Botley holds school records for three-pointers in a game (10) and in a season (97).
- Botley was named the 2016-17 SSC Newcomer of the Year along with holding posts on the All-SSC Second Team and Newcomer Team.
Lynn ends the 2016-17 campaign with a 13-14 overall record and an 8-10 mark in SSC play.