Miami Shores, Fla. – Junior Jamal Palmer was clutch down the stretch on Friday afternoon as Lynn University's men's basketball team picked up its first win of the season with a 69-68 decision over Grand Valley State University in the opener of Barry University's Cesar Odio Thanksgiving Classic. Palmer first hit a go-ahead layup with 26 seconds left before the Lakers subsequently answered. Palmer then drew a foul with four seconds left, knocking down both attempts at the line to avoid overtime and secure the one-point win.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 69, Grand Valley State 68
Records: Lynn (1-2), GVSU (3-2)
Location: Health and Sports Center | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 2-0 (first meeting since 2002)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Randy Bell returned to the starting lineup and had the hot shooting hand, finishing with a game-high 20 points while going 5-of-10 from the field, 3-of-6 from long range and 7-of-8 at the foul line.
- Kevin O'Brien led the Fighting Knights on the glass with eight boards and chipped in 10 points.
- True freshman Brandon Bornelus, seeing the first extended action of his college career, provided a spark off the bench, shooting 4-of-5 from the field for 11 points along with two assists and a steal.
- Palmer's final stretch capped him at eight points, but he filled out the stat sheet with three rebounds, a steal and a team-high four assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Bell's 20 points are a season-high for the first-year sophomore transfer.
- After scoring 22 points in each of the first two games this season, first-year junior transfer Ryan Peterson earned his first career start in the Blue and White and led his team in minutes played with 29.
- With the win, Lynn avoids starting off the season 0-3, which has never happened in the history of the program.
- Three of the Lakers first five games this season have been decided by one possession. In both of GVSU's losses this season, the Lakers were leading with under five seconds to play.
- Lynn and GVSU have only met one other time prior to this matchup, with the Fighting Knights posting a 90-78 victory in the 2001-02 season.
Lynn closes out the Barry Classic with another tough matchup, taking on No. 3 Bellarmine University tomorrow, Saturday, Nov. 25 at 12 p.m.