Melbourne, Fla. – A scoring drought in the second half almost eliminated a strong offensive effort from the opening stanza but Lynn University's men's basketball team was able to finish out strong and pull out an 82-72 decision over Florida Tech for the Fighting Knights first Sunshine State Conference win of the year.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 82, Florida Tech 72
Records: Lynn (2-3, 1-2 SSC), Florida Tech (3-5, 0-2 SSC)
Location: Clemente Center | Melbourne, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 33-21
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Despite playing just 23 minutes off the bench, Randy Bell led all players in the game with a career-high 24 points. He shot 7-of-11 from the field and 5-of-8 from the foul line while pouring in a season-high five three-pointers (5-for-8).
- Jamal Palmer and Brandon Bornelus rounded out Lynn's trio of double-digit scorers. Palmer had 13 points with four rebounds while Bornelus recorded 10 points and a career-high six assists.
- Rasheed Worrell fell one point shy of a double-double and led all rebounders in the game with 10.
- Michael Baez had a strong showing in limited minutes off the bench, shooting 3-of-4 for nine points to go along with eight boards and a team-high two steals.
- Lynn's bench outscored Florida Tech's, 34-2.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights scored 45 points in the first 20 minutes, their highest first-half total so far this season, and led by 15 at the break (45-30).
- Florida Tech's Sam Daniel, who entered the contest averaging a league-best 27.0 points per game through the first seven, was held to 11 points on 3-of-12 shooting.
- The Panthers' starting five accounted for 191 of the team's 200 total minutes played. Daniel and Jordan Majors never saw the bench.
- After seeing increased minutes off the bench the last two games, Bornelus earned his first career starting nod tonight and did not disappoint. He played four minutes combined in the first two games of the year.
- After starting off the year 0-4, Florida Tech had won three straight coming into tonight's game.
- Although Lynn is coming off two neutral site matchups last week at the Barry Classic, tonight was the team's first true road game of the season.
Lynn wraps up the week with another league road contest, traveling to the University of Tampa this Saturday, Dec. 2, for a 4 p.m. matchup.