BOCA RATON, Fla. – A 10-of-19 effort from long range in the first half gave Lynn University's men's basketball team the momentum it needed on Wednesday night to knock off Eckerd College in Sunshine State Conference action, 78-44. Jamal Palmer had a career-night beyond the arc, leading the Blue and White with 23 points.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 78, Eckerd 74
Records: Lynn (7-7, 4-4 SSC), Eckerd (13-3, 6-3 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Eckerd leads 29-16
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Palmer was hot right out of the gates, going 4-of-7 from long range in the opening stanza. The junior finished with 23 points and five rebounds while knocking down a career-high five three-pointers.
- Starting forwards Kevin O'Brien and Ryan Peterson each tallied identical lines of 14 points, seven rebounds and two assists. O'Brien went 4-for-8 from three-point land while also tacking on two steals and a block.
- Brandon Bornelus rounded out the Fighting Knights' quartet of double-digit scorers with 12 points while leading his squad in assists (5).
- Rasheed Worrell led all players on the glass, hauling in a game-high 11 rebounds to go along with eight points and two blocks.
- Eckerd's Drushaun McLaurn recorded 28 points, shooting 12-of-20 from the field, and rounded out a double-double with 10 boards.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn knocked down 13 triples as a team, tying its season-high set last game. The team has hit 11 or more three-pointers in three straight games.
- Michael Baez accounted for all seven of Lynn's bench points.
- Eckerd had won the last five matchups against Lynn over the past two seasons, including a bout in the 2015-16 SSC Semifinals before the Tritons went on to win the title. Lynn's last win over Eckerd came on the road on Feb. 7, 2015.
- The Tritons came into the contest in second place in the SSC standings and their 13 total wins are still the most in the league. After a loss last week, Eckerd slipped out of the national rankings this week.
- Lynn is now on a three-game winning streak for the first time this season.
Lynn hits the road this weekend with a quick trip up to Palm Beach Atlantic this Saturday, Jan. 13, for a 4 p.m. tip.