West Palm Beach, Fla. – Starting guards Brandon Bornelus and Jamal Palmer blew up offensively in the first half but Lynn University's men's basketball team needed to fight late to fend off host Palm Beach Atlantic in a 75-73 Sunshine State Conference victory on Saturday. Bornelus and Palmer combined to score over half of the Fighting Knights' points on the night.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 75, PBA 73
Records: Lynn (8-7, 5-4 SSC), PBA (10-10, 4-5 SSC)
Location: Rubin Arena | West Palm Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 15-10
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Palmer put together two solid halves of play to finish with a team-high 22 points. He shot 4-of-7 from long range – his second straight game with four or more from deep – and hauled in six rebounds.
- Bornelus scored all 19 of his points in the opening half with a 3-for-5 effort from beyond the arc. He continues to lead his squad in assists, dishing out a career-high seven tonight.
- Michael Baez provided quality second-half minutes off the bench as he matched his season-high with 14 points. He went 5-of-9 from the field and added four rebounds.
- Rasheed Worrell hit double figures with 10 points and was key defensively with two blocks, a steal and five defensive rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Palm Beach Atlantic swept Lynn in the season series each of the past two years. Lynn picks up its first win over PBA since Jan. 14, 2015.
- Lynn is now on a four-game winning streak for the first time this season.
- The Blue and White have knocked down 10 or more three-pointers in four consecutive games.
- For the second consecutive game, Baez was the only Fighting Knight to record points off the bench.
- Bornelus has five or more assists in each of the last four games.
- Kevin O'Brien swiped four steals for the first time in his Lynn career.
Lynn remains on the road for the start of next week, heading south to Barry on Wednesday, Jan. 17, for a 7:30 p.m. contest.