BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's basketball team got a bit of revenge on Saturday afternoon, defeating cross-town and NCAA Division I foe Florida Atlantic University in exhibition action, 92-87. Senior Michael Baez displayed an impressive double-double to lead the Fighting Knights to victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 92, FAU 87
Records: Lynn (0-0), FAU (0-0)
Location: FAU Arena | Boca Raton, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The Fighting Knights rolled out a big starting lineup to match the Owls, and Baez excelled as a two-guard in a team-high 33 minutes of action. Baez dropped in 21 points behind an 11-of-14 performance at the charity stripe and led all players on the floor with 15 rebounds.
- Sophomore point guard Brandon Bornelus came off the bench and led the Blue and White in scoring with 22 points, knocking down 5-of-6 attempts from long range. He also led the squad in assists with three.
- Fourth-year senior Jamal Palmer returned to the starting lineup, notching 13 points and four boards with a 5-of-7 effort from the free-throw line.
- Darius Moore made his long-expected Lynn debut, pouring in 16 points in 20 minutes off the bench. Moore went 8-of-10 at the stripe.
- Ryan Peterson rounded out Lynn's double-digit scorers with 10 points off the bench on a 4-for-6 clip from the floor.
- FAU's Anthony Adger led all scorers with 30 points, going 8-for-12 from the field and 9-for-9 on free throws.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Last year, Lynn hosted FAU in an exhibition contest as part of the 2017-18 South Florida Showdown, broadcasted on ESPN. The Owls won 68-53.
- There were a combined 121 points scored between the two teams last year, opposed to the 179 points scored today.
- Before last year, Lynn and FAU last met in an exhibition contest during the 2012-13 season.
- Bornelus scored more points (22) than the minutes he played (18).
- Baez (15) had nearly half of the team's rebounds (34).
- Moore and Hunter Parrish made their Blue and White debuts.
Lynn has one more exhibition game before the regular season starts, traveling to the University of Maryland on Tuesday, Oct. 30, for a 7 p.m. contest.