BOCA RATON, Fla. – Florida National University came out with guns blazing on Friday night, putting the Lynn University men's basketball team in an immediate hole. The Fighting Knights slowly chipped away, taking a halftime lead before holding off the Conquistadors for an 89-78 nonconference triumph. Michael Baez poured in a career-high 25 points.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 89, Florida National 78
Records: Lynn (2-0), FNU (4-5)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: First-ever meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Baez utilized a strong performance at the charity stripe en route to a career- and game-high 25 points. He shot 9-of-11 from the line, 7-of-14 from the field and 2-of-4 from beyond the arc. He rounded out a solid game with five rebounds, five assists and three steals.
- Jamal Palmer notched 20 points for the second time in as many games to kick off the new season. The senior shot 8-of-13 from the field, adding three boards, two helpers and two blocks.
- Point guard Darius Moore popped in three triples on four attempts from long range, finishing with 17 points and a team-high six assists.
- Starting bigs Daniel Cooper and Rasheed Worrell combined for 11 rebounds with Worrell chipping in eight points.
- Hunter Parrish came off the bench and was perfect from the field (4-of-4) for nine points.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Florida National opened the game on a 16-4 run.
- Lynn shot 58.9% from the field, marking the team's best field-goal percentage in a game since Nov. 29, 2014 (67.6%).
- Baez's previous career high at Lynn in scoring was 18 points. He dropped 30 in a game as a sophomore playing for Wingate University.
- FNU has played seven more games than Lynn so far this season.
- Baez registered 17 of his points in the second half, going 8-of-9 at the free-throw line.
- Parrish has yet to miss a shot so far this season.
- The Blue and White are 2-0 to start the season for the first time since 2014-15.
The Fighting Knights next host St. Augustine's on Friday, Nov. 23 at 7 p.m.