BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's basketball team took a comfortable 11-point lead into the locker room at halftime Friday night, but long-range shooting woes and increased defensive pressure plagued the Fighting Knights in the second half. The Blue and White escaped with a 59-56 nonconference victory over Saint Augustine's University to improve to 3-0 on the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 59, SAU 56
Records: Lynn (3-0), SAU (2-3)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 3-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Starters Jamal Palmer, Darius Moore and Rasheed Worrell all co-led the offense with 12 points apiece as the only Fighting Knights in double figures.
- Moore knocked down two triples while adding two steals and a team-high four assists.
- Worrell notched his 12 points on an efficient 4-of-5 outing from the floor and went 3-for-4 at the stripe.
- Palmer finished tied for second on the team with five boards and added three helpers.
- Michael Baez was the only player on the floor to snag double-digit rebounds, securing 10, including five on the offensive glass.
- SAU's Tyre Gathright came off the bench and poured in a game-high 23 points.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Falcons opened up the game's scoring with a 3-pointer in the first minute, but that would be the final lead the away team held throughout the rest of the night.
- Lynn has played the Falcons twice prior in program history, winning in 1997 and in 2012.
- The Fighting Knights' 59 points are the team's lowest in a win since they defeated No. 9 Drury on Dec. 17, 2016. (57-56).
- Lynn shot under 33.5% (33.3) from the field and won the game for the third time in the past five seasons.
- The Blue and White are 3-0 to start the season for the first time since 2014-15.
Lynn remains home this weekend with a 2 p.m. matchup against Ave Maria on Sunday, Nov. 25.